Rheumatology is an important subspecialty in internal medicine which deals with the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal system conditions, rheumatic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases as well as degenerative connective tissue disorders and various musculoskeletal syndromes.
The main conditions diagnosed and treated by the rheumatologist are:
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- ankylosing spondylitis;
- reactive arthritis;
- psoriatic arthritis;
- gout and other microcrystalline arthritis;
- different collagenosis: systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, polymyositis/dermatomyositis;
- osteoarthritis in multiple locations; gonarthritis, coxarthritis, spondylitis, osteoarthritis of the hands;
- spinal disc herniation;
- painful cervical, dorsal and lumbar syndrome;
- scapulohumeral periarthritis;
- osteoporosis and other conditions of the bones;
The rheumatology services provided by the VenArt clinic offers rheumatology consultations, with the possibility of intra-articular infiltrations with viscoelastic substance, musculoskeletal ultrasounds, reading Dexa osteodensitometry test results for the diagnosis of osteoporosis and the prescription of specialized treatments.
The main reason why patients seek a rheumatologist are:
- pain in one or more joints;
- back pains;
- swelling of the ankles;
- reduced mobility in the joints;
- pain in the hands or feet accompanied by tingling sensations and a decrease in muscle strength;
- an unexplained skin lesion;
- muscular pain or exhaustion;
- generalized pain in the bones;
- fever and weight loss;
- an inflammatory syndrome has become evident during laboratory tests and the absence of an acute infection (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and fibrinogen, high value, reactive protein C).
For diagnosis and treatment a rheumatological consult combined with specific diagnostic methods is required.
- laboratory tests (inflammatory syndrome, immunology depending on each patient);
- bone and/or joint X-rays;
- musculoskeletal ultrasound;